What Is The Diocesan Youth Ministry Advisory Council? [top]
The Diocesan Youth Ministry Advisory Council (DYMAC) is made up of youth representing various geographic areas (deaneries) of our Diocesan Youth Ministry structure. Primary geographic areas are: Belleville, East St. Louis, North Central, West, East North, East South, Mid South and South. Deanery youth representation attempts to encompass all the geographic areas of our Diocese, when possible. Selection to the Diocesan Youth Ministry Advisory Council is based upon a resume and interview process.
DYMAC is the representative Youth Council of the Diocese of Belleville. The Council is inclusive of gender, culture, geography, economics and social diversities.
PURPOSE of DYMAC: [top]
The Mission of DYMAC is to assist in the creation, development, implementation and evaluation of Diocesan events offered for youth under the auspices of the Diocesan Office of Youth Ministry. Its goals are taken from Renewing the Vision, the U.S. Bishops' National Pastoral Plan for Youth Ministry. These goals are:
1. To empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
2. To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the Catholic faith community.
3. To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
What Is Expected From A DYMAC Representative? [top]
The primary areas of responsibility are:
- officially represent and serve as an active voice for youth of the Belleville Diocese under the Diocesan Office of Youth Ministry
- encourage participation and support the work of parish, deanery/geographic and diocesan programs and events
- be an active and involved presence in parish and deanery/geographic activities
- act as youth liaison between their deanery/geographic area and the Diocesan Office of Youth Ministry
- identify the needs of diocesan youth and encourage the diocese to attend to these needs
- attend all DYMAC meetings (held every other month); two absences will be grounds for dismissal
- develop and lead diocesan youth involvement at the annual Diocesan Youth Conference, the National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC), and other designated Office of Youth Ministry events requiring Diocesan representation
- provide own transportation to and from DYMAC meetings
Who Can Be A DYMAC Representative? [top]
We are seeking the following youth to serve on DYMAC:
- must lead a life congruent with the Catholic faith and be an active, participating member of their parish
- current or incoming high school students at time of application (Freshman through Senior)
- willing to serve an entire term of one year. Current DYMAC members must apply for each year.
- must possess obvious leadership gifts and be a positive role model to peersâ€”this speaks more to interior qualities of leadership rather than extrovert tendencies.
- must have family support and cooperation
- must have a responsible attitude and performance record
- must be able to speak to and lead large groups of young people
- must be in touch with the needs, issues and gifts of the youth in his/her geographic area/deanery
- MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND MEETINGS ON A REGULAR BASIS.
Each young person should be a person of faith with a dedication to his/her peers and his/her church. Enthusiasm for youth ministry is a must. DYMAC requires a commitment of time and energy, along with a desire to grow and learn throughout the year. The abilities to communicate clearly and work cooperatively in a group are necessary for the success of the Council. He/She must be a regular attendee at Mass who practices his/her Catholic faith.
How Are Nominations Done? [top]
|Step 1:||Decide if you meet the above criteria.|
|Step 2:||Approach your parents, Youth Ministry Commission members, parish youth minister and other significant adults to discuss the expectations required with that person to see if you can accept the responsibilities outlined.|
|Step 3:||Complete the application form and return it to the Diocesan Office of Youth Ministry by June 1, 2012, or bring a completed application with you to the March Diocesan Youth Conference and submit it to the Diocesan Youth Ministry Office.|
|Step 4:||Ensure that the application contains applicant signature, parental signature, and identifies one adult reference from the parish (i.e., teacher, youth minister, coach, credible adult figure).|
|Step 6:||Applicants will be screened and all qualified participants will be eligible for the selection process. Selection process will consist of a personal interview by a team of teen youth leaders and the Director of Youth Ministry.|
|Step 7:||All applicants chosen will be contacted in by the Director of Youth Ministry and invited to serve on the 2012-2013 Diocesan Youth Ministry Advisory Council (DYMAC).|
The 2012-2013 timeline process is as follows:
- March 2012 - Early application process begins as applications are accepted at the Diocesan Youth Conference.
- June 1ST, 2012 - Deadline for 2011-2012 DYMAC applications to the Diocesan Office of Youth Ministry
- June 2012 - Interviews held at several locations in the Diocese (based upon applications)
- July, 2012 - New DYMAC members begin term and the first organizational meeting takes place.
- August 4, 2012 - Leadership Day